AFC Totton 1 – 3 Tiverton Town

Tivvy continued their march towards a place in the play off positions come the end of April with a comfortable victory over a struggling Totton side, all 4 goals coming in the first half. Levi Landricombe and Nick Hurst put Tivvy in control, Adam Wilde pulled one back before Mike Williams, making a rare start for the first team in place of the injured Ben Carter, restored the two goal advantage.  With dissension rife amongst all those who reside at Tottons smart Testwood Stadium and the greeting `you`ll score half a dozen today` it was no great surprise to anyone that the final result was what it was, especially when Levi Landricombes 31st of the season gave Tivvy the lead after 15 seconds. Yes, 15 seconds. No one will ever know for sure if it`s a record, but that aside, a dream start. His chest control from Michael Landricombes ball forward sat up and with a swing of his slightly less favoured right foot, the ball was in the net before a percentage
of the crowd had taken their places.

The dream start got even better on 8 minutes, Nick Hurst tapped in from close range after Jamie Price, who will miss the next two matches after picking up his 10th caution of the season, had struck the same upright that Landricombes earlier goal had gone in off. Tottons forward forages thus far had nowhere near the same effect of that that their defensive line had been  subject to, but found themselves back in the match on 20 minutes.

Recently acquired from Gosport Borough, Adam Wilde scored his first for Totton in his second spell at the club, a dipping left foot volley that flew into the top corner despite the best efforts of Man of the Match Joe Perry and for all of Tivvys early superiority, game on again. Tivvy were in no mood though to allow their hosts back into the match and re-established the two goal lead 6 minutes before the interval, Mikey Williams turned and fired home from close range after an excellent run and cross from Nick Hurst had caused chaos amongst home defenders.

Totton were the better side in the second half, Tivvy limited to counter attacks which bore no fruit as the hosts looked to repair the damage of the first 45, but found their route to goal blocked by a well marshalled defence and on the occasions that was breached, Joe Perry was in fine form, the stand out save from Dave Allens header which was destined for the top corner.

Another plus for the Yellows was the return of Owen Howe, after his 6 week absence due to the operation to remove his appendix, a welcome boost for the final 12 matches of the season.

Tiverton: Perry, Price, Hurst (Mudge 77), M Landricombe, Kingdon, Gardner, Short
S Rogers, Bath (Howe 68), L Landricombe, Williams (Walton 88).
Subs not used: G Rogers. Goals: L Landricombe 1, Hurst 8, Williams 39

MoM: Joe Perry. Attendance: 272

Report by Simon Ellis

Feb 12, 2017 | Posted by in First Team News | Comments Off on AFC Totton 1 – 3 Tiverton Town