Plymouth Parkway Draw

Another positive step in the building process of our squad. Parkway came with a strong record to uphold, and a quick start to the game from both teams suggested it could be a corker..

It didn’t disappoint, with the game flowing from end to end with some fine football on display, and with solid defences on show, clear cut goal chances weren’t going to be easy for either side. We did go very close early on with a square ball rolled across the box for Ethan Phillips to tuck away from near the penalty spot, but pushed his effort just wide in trying to be precise. Phillips and Mortimer were both a menace for our visitors down the wings, and with some excellent support from the midfield we created several good chances, one of one saw Kenny Ord head just wide. Parkway also created chances and came close on several occasions, but without being able to break a solid Tivvy defence.
An exciting first half saw the sides go in at 0-0.
The 2nd half started in similar manner, that was before Jamie Mudge picked up a yellow card, then to be followed straight away by another, apparently for something said. This officials decision then put us on the back foot for the rest of a long 2nd half.
But we have grown a lot as a team in our last few games, not least defensively and how we shut down and deny our apposition space to play through us. We did this well, and with some reshuffling of personnel, still took the game to Parkway when possible. One of those occasions saw us break quickly through the opposition defence, and with Luke Mortimer latching onto a ball into the box, he placed a ball neatly into the net, with a hint of a deflection, but still a good goal well taken.
Obviously most of the rest of the game saw us defending doggedly, and with a little panic at times as any cleared balls tended to come back relatively quickly.
The visitors equalised with just over 10minutes to go, from a corner, where a strong run saw a bullet header hit the net to make it 1-1. We still defended well and limited the chances from shots on goal to crosses into the box, and saw the game out for a well deserved point.
If we had kept 11 on the pitch maybe it could have been a different score line, but some strange decisions didn’t seem to help our cause. Lloyd Copp being one that took an elbow to the face, apparently unseen by the officials, which left the right back unconscious and unnoticed by the officials, even with the protests from the players, sideline and many in the crowd. Thankfully after spending several hours in hospital, and a scan to check for damage to his face, he was discharged and thankfully will recover soon with rest.
Luke Mortimer pulled down on the edge of the box, and the keeper sliding out of his box and using his hands late in the game were also a couple of several others that were missed. Very frustrating for all, especially after the hard work and effort that the players put in, and some very vocal support from the Tivvy faithful in the crowd did help to keep the boys going when it got tough.
All in all, very pleased to take away a point, lots of positives from the whole sides display, and we seem to be building each week which is another positive.
We move on to Saturday’s game, and an away trip to Callington, who we beat 3-1 a couple weeks ago, so hopefully a double is on the cards, and another 3 points towards our climb up th league… COYY’s.

Sep 22, 2016 | Posted by in Reserves News | Comments Off on Plymouth Parkway Draw