For a first ever meeting between two sides, any `media` reports would want to focus mainly on events of a footballing kind and so it shall be. Unfortunately, though the majority of the two hundred and fifty-one, and certainly those who had made the cross-country trek to the Westwood Road Stadium, will have a greater memory of the match for a slightly less glamorous reason. Jordan Rogers return to the starting eleven, following his enforced absence after his recent dismissal at Merthyr, lasted just eleven minutes. A sickening, and it must be added accidental clash of heads with St Ives `keeper James Goff early on left Rogers with the kind of injuries seen at the end of a boxing contest, several hours spent under `medical attention` and what will doubtless be an extended period out of the game.

Back to footballing matters and Tivvy returned to Devon with all three points after Rogers replacement and eventual Man of the Match Owen Howe scored a brace to cancel out the hosts opener from Ben Seymour-Shove to put an end to the Yellows recent down-turn in form and propel them back up the league standings. Early action was at a frantic pace and decent chances for both sides to open their accounts for the afternoon soon presented themselves, Rogers fired high from the edge of the box, Martin Rice did well to divert Peter Clarks` effort wide following a quick break before Michael Landricombe headed over from close range from a Nick Hurst corner and smart defending from Jamie Price prevented James Hall from getting in on goal all happened before the unfortunate turn of events.

Rogers and Goff contested a bouncing ball which Rogers got to first and despite the obvious lack of intent or malice in the challenge, referee Hallam Cutmore was left with no option but to show Goff red and `Ives midfielder Lewis Hilliard assumed the goalkeeping duties. Twelve minutes passed before the game resumed as a result of Rogers injuries, all in yellow were clearly shaken by what had happened and despite being a man down the hosts took advantage and soon after, the lead, Clark allowed time and space to measure his options on the left before his accurate cross was nodded home at the back post by the un-marked Seymour-Shove on twenty-six. Liam Gregory replaced Tom Gardner soon after as the Yellows switched to a seldom seen 4-4-2 formation and as a result they would go on to spend large periods of the rest of the half in possession without ever really testing Hilliard, apart from on one key occasion as the hosts defended in numbers. Owen Howe eventually squeezed in the equaliser on forty-five, Levi Landricombes` ball forward bounced awkwardly and despite the close attention of defenders, the sides went in level at the interval.

The second half, under worsening conditions as the heavens well and truly opened, followed in a similar vain to that of the majority of the first, the Yellows with lots of possession without again unduly testing or troubling Hilliard and St. Ives continued to keep the Tivvy back-line on their toes with Clark and Halls` pace on the break. St. Ives debutant centre half Andrew Iwediuno had looked reasonably assured at the back until a complete mix-up between him and Hilliard prevented Howe with a long range open goal which he dragged wide as the Yellows turned the screw in search of a winner which eventually materialised nine minutes from time. Callum Halls` cute ball inside off the wing to Levi Landricombe allowed space for Howe to run in behind, Landricombe stepped over the ball and Howe found space to drill in low from twenty yards, the sort of effort that even the most tried and tested goalkeepers would have struggled to get anywhere near, let alone an `outfield` stand-in. James Halls` free kick then produced a smart save from Rice as the hosts looked for a way back in to the match as time ticked away but the Yellows held out and recorded their second league victory on the road this season and moved back up to sixth in the standings.

Tiverton: Martin Rice, Nick Hurst (Ollie Knowles 65), Callum Hall, Jamie Price, Ben Mammola, Tom Gardner (Liam Gregory 31), Jamie Short, Michael Landricombe, Jordan Rogers (OWEN HOWE 20), Levi Landricombe, Scott Rogers.

Goals: Owen Howe 45, 81.

Attendance: 251.

Report by: Simon Ellis

Oct 8, 2017 | Posted by in First Team News | Comments Off on ST. IVES TOWN 1-2 TIVERTON TOWN