Tiverton Town 3-1 Taunton Town

Euphoric. No other word needed to describe the Yellows play off semi-final victory over rivals Taunton Town, completed by 2 goals from Levi Landricombe either side of Tom Baths header while the visitors scored a late consolation, Jordan Rogers scoring from 12 yards after Ben Mammola had felled Brett Trowbridge. The Peacocks also finished the match with only 10 men as former Yellow Ed Palmer was given his marching orders for scything down Levi Landricombe as he was through on goal.

Nearly 1000 expectant fans filled Ladysmead on Wednesday evening, both sets hoping and praying for the victory that would have them one step closer to the promised land of the Premier Division and with league records identical (P42 W27 D7 L8) those expecting a tight and cagey affair were close to the money, certainly for the first 45 anyway. Clear cut chances were few, Jordan Rogers with the stand out effort, his close range effort brilliantly clawed away to safety by Joe Perry and Lloyd Irish did well to smother Tom Baths` effort after Scott Rogers had sent him through on goal were about as close as either side came to breaking the first half deadlock. The visitors, however, were incensed and convinced they should have had a penalty shortly before half time as Ben Mammola was caught out by Jordan Rogers pace, but referee Phil Eddie decided the initial contact was outside of the area.

The second half however belonged to Tivvy. Levi Landricombe tucked away goal no. 43 for the season with less than 5 minutes played, his initial effort was well saved by Irish but the ball fell kindly for him to tap into the unguarded net after Steve Kingdons` ball forward had sent him away and Landricombes` pace and guile saw him through on goal again, only to have his progress illegally stopped by a combination of Palmer and Owen Irish, Palmer deemed the guilty party and sent for an early bath. The resulting free kick was cleared, only a Jamie Price throw in found Scott Rogers in all kinds of space and his hooked cross was headed home by Tom Bath. Levi Landricombe sealed the victory 2 minutes from time, curling a trademark free kick past Irish from 25 yards after Ben Carter, who had replaced the injured Jamie Short In the first half, was fouled.

Jordan Rogers scored the late consolation from the penalty spot a minute later before 5 minutes of injury time seemed to take forever to pass by with Taunton pressing to get back into the match but to no avail before the Yellows celebrated their place in Bank Holiday Mondays` play off final at Salisbury, who needed extra time to get past Evesham United.

Tiverton: Joe Perry, Nick Hurst, Jamie Price, Ben Mammola, Steve Kingdon (Captain), Tom Gardner, Jamie Short (Ben Carter 35), Michael Landricombe, Tom Bath (Dean Stamp 90), LEVI LANDRICOMBE, Scott Rogers.

Subs not used: Teigan Rosenquest, Jordan Storey, Jordan, Walton.

Goals: Levi Landricombe 49, 88 Tom Bath 80.

Attendance: 934

Report by Simon Ellis

Apr 29, 2017 | Posted by in First Team News | Comments Off on Tiverton Town 3-1 Taunton Town