Yate Town 0 – 1 Tiverton Town

Tiverton Town with four first team regulars missing due to injury and suspension travelled to Yate Town on a cold Tuesday night on January 10th 2017 looking to build upon their current play off position. The team was bolstered up front with Glynn Hobbs from Tavistock to supplement Saturday’s two goal hero from the Didcot Town match Tom Bath in attack.

The opening minutes saw Tivvy constantly attack the Yate goal and after 5 minutes Glynn Hobbs had a ferocious shot from 25 yards out that Yate keeper Harvey Rivers formerly of Cheltenham Town and Hereford F.C did well to put out for a corner. The next ten minutes saw Tivvy pile forward in search of the opening goal and further shots from Tom Bath and Glynn Hobbs rained down on the Yate goal. They were all dealt with comfortably by Rivers who looked an excellent goalkeeper. A torrent of corners followed for the visitors but there was unfortunately no product from the Devon team.

On 18 minutes Tivvy had a strong penalty shout when Tom Bath tangled with a Yate defender in the box and subsequently went down heavily whilst turning but the referee Mr Oakey from Cheltenham waved played on. The same official then again waved play on after the loose ball from the first penalty appeal squirmed around the box and bodies came flying in to convert the chance. The Tivvy fans who had made the trip up to Bristol expected the referee to blow for a spot kick as it appeared that there was a clear foul on at least two Tiverton players in the ensuing melee. This was not to be the case and the search for the opening goal carried on unabated.

There seemed to be little in attack from Yate however their defence was battling amicably with the Tivvy onslaught. The neutral supporter who was standing with me stated it should only be a matter of time before Tiverton scored. Chances for Tom Bath, Jamie Short and Ben Carter came and went and when the half time whistle had gone it was met with disappointment from the away following that Tiverton had not broken through but credit to the young Yate side that they had kept their opponents at bay.

The Jelf Stadium saw Tivvy come out for the second half with renewed purpose and a 25 yard Teigan Rosenquest shot was excellently saved by Rivers. Then followed Tiverton’s second strong shout for a penalty kick when the lively Jamie Short danced through the Yate midfield then defence and into the box seemingly to be brought down by a last-ditch Yate defender before he released a shot. However, the referee for the third time in the match waved play on much to the distain of the Tivvy bench. Yate who had not looked at all dangerous during the evening then nearly broke the deadlock on 65 minutes when a rasping shot from outside of the box looked to be heading for the top corner of the Tivvy net. However, from nowhere a Welsh arm was thrust upwards to tip the ball over the bar and to safety. An outstanding save from Joe Perry to equal the keeping of Harvey Rivers the custodian at the other end of the ground.

After two substitutions for Tivvy with Jordan Walton coming on for Tom Gardner and 15 minutes later Scott Rogers coming on for Teigan Rosenquest the game reached the business end of the match. Tom Bath who had worked tirelessly all night narrowly scuffed a shot past Rivers. Then came the pass of the night on 80 minutes from the impressive Glynn Hobbs who opened the Yate defence with a clever through ball that picked out the marauding Jamie Short. The skilful midfielder burst into the box and slotted past Rivers with aplomb. This was no more than Tiverton deserved and they hung on without any further scares to take away a valuable three points back to Devon.

Team: Joe Perry, Teigan Rosenquest, Nick Hurst, Ben Mammola, Steve Kingdon, Tom Gardner, Jamie Short, Michael Landricombe, Tom Bath, Glynn Hobbs and Ben Carter.

Subs:  Jordan Walton for Tom Gardner 58 Mins, Scott Rogers for Teigan Rosenquest 74 Mins

Scorer: Jamie Short 80 Mins               Attendance 94

Match Report: Jay Richardson

Jan 12, 2017 | Posted by in First Team News | Comments Off on Yate Town 0 – 1 Tiverton Town